As the fall season begins to bring cooler temperatures and shorter days, I am reminded of a devotion I shared not long ago from the book of James. A good book with very practical insights for life; and a book that will help us navigate the continual COVID-19 times in which we live.
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
· Be quick to listen - Everyone needs to be heard; we all need to do a better job listening to others
· Be slow to speak - Not everything has to be solved in one listening session; take some time to pray before responding
· Be slow to become angry - Anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires; Listening and speaking often break down in the throws of anger
· Get rid of all moral filth - Get your heart right before God - It puts you in the right frame of mind with a clear conscious
· Accept the word of God in you humbly - God's word shared with another will bring about the best solutions to any issue; share out of humility because of what God has done for you
· DO WHAT IT SAYS - Obey God's Word - that is the pathway to God's blessing
1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied: "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.
As we obey the word of the Lord, we find the pathway of blessing from God. We experience deeper, more meaningful relationships; and can share God's love with others from a heart of compassion. We can bless the rest as we listen and obey God's Word. Check out the many ways you can get involved below and find that person whom you can bless this week.